Monday, September 19, 2011

Sept. 19

Hola everyone,

It's been a slower week. We did get to meet the new district and that was a lot of fun. The elders are crazy and always the same. ;) We have zone conference this Friday and we are going all the way to Kansas City. There is some specialty training that is going on with Sister Keyes and she's asked all the elders to bring an extra white shirt and all the sisters to bring an extra cotton shirt. So... I wonder if she's going to teach us to iron or something? Ha! I look forward to zone conference. It is such a spiritual uplifting that is greatly needed. This past week we tried to contact a potential that hasn't been home for a couple times. We finally got her! However, she opens the door and said, "I'm sorry, I was misinformed. Are you Mormon?" And goes on to tell us she only believes in the Bible. Wouldn't give the Book of Mormon a shot at all nor would she let us explain why we read it. Sigh. Life of a missionary. But then miracles happen, too. There is a part member couple in the ward. The husband is 93 and has cancer. We went to go visit them to see if we could do anything for them and their 2 sons were visiting. it turned into a discussion about why we are on our missions. They found out I joined 3 years and asked why. It was great. One son said he "had to go". The other stayed and talked to us about it. We planted seeds! Miracles! So, good and bad. The work is never done. But I am grateful for all of these opportunities.

One of the apostles challenged the mission presidents to do "5 minute talks". I've talked about them before at district meetings. We are to do them at Zone conferences as well. The topic for Friday is "Having the faith to find". I was looking and studying that this morning and came across the scripture in Mosiah about when the angel appears to Alma the Younger and the Sons of Mosiah and basically rebukes them. I haven't memorized it yet... but it says something along the lines of "Your father has prayed with much faith and I have come to convince you of the power and authority of God. For the Lord hears the prayers of his servants in faith". or something like that. I really liked that. I thought about how miracles have not ceased, for if they have it is because of unbelief among men. God continues to be a God of miracles. God has promised us time and time again: "and lo, I will be with you" was told to all the elders in church history. After Christ was resurrected he appeared to his 11 disciples and says to go preach the gospel, for "I will be with you alway". In Doctrine and Covenants, we see constantly how if we thrust in our sickle with all our heart, might, mind, and strength, we will be laden with sheaves. The only reason we can't accomplish something is because we have denied the power of God. I was immediately humbled. We have a Standard of Excellence that the mission tries to achieve every week. One of those things includes finding 4 new investigators every week. That's hard to do! But with that faith, it is possible. For Christ hath said: if ye will have faith in me ye shall have power to do whatsoever thing is expedient in me. Exercise that faith and know that God will provide and that miracles happen every day, even if we don't see them right away.

Next Sunday is the primary program, the Sunday after is General Conference (YEAH!), the next Sunday is Fast & Testimony, and the following Sunday is Stake Conference. We're going to be busy these next few weeks. I love it.

It's cooling off and it's been raining and misting a lot lately. Feels like home. We are speaking at a youth fireside on Sunday and I am SO excited. I love the youth. They are so strong and have so much ahead of them. We can learn a lot from them. So, we've been preparing for that too.

Thank you for those that write consistently, and write at all. It really strengthens me to know how loved ones are doing and care to update little ol' me out in Missouri.

My card reader is still not working. So I might have to invest in a new one. Pictures will come soon, I promise.

I love you all. Thank you for your prayers and support. I couldn't do this without you and your faith in me, the church, and our Lord Jesus Christ. I know Christ lives. I know he has restored the fulnes of his gospel to the earth today through his prophet Joseph Smith. I know prayers are heard and answered. I know the scriptures are true. I know that I am a daughter of God. I know that I am a daughter in His kingdom. I'm immensely grateful for my covenants and this knowledge. Shall we not go on in so great a cause?

Always,
Sister Moore



No comments:

Post a Comment