Monday, March 5, 2012

Hutch

Greetings from Hutchinson, Kansas!

I thought I was going to get away from Kansas for the rest of my
mission, seeing I had already a decent amount of time out full pros.
But hey, life takes turns for the best. Serving with Sister Dodd is a
blessing. We just want to get out and work and not have to worry about
little things. It's wonderful having a companion that is as dedicated
as I try to be. Thursday morning I couldn't sleep. I was sad to be
leaving but excited for the new adventures ahead of me. Woke up, put
the baggage in the car, and drove to the stake center to await the
transfer bus. Everyone made me cry saying, "I'll miss you!" and the
like. So not fair. I was doing real well up 'til that point, too. Said
"see you later" to the sisters and a few of the elders and got on the
bus. Luckily, my district leader Elder Masters was on the bus as well
as Sister Payne, and of course Elder Seely as the assistant to get
things done. Sister Payne and I were the only sisters on the bus but
we tried to sleep. Didn't really work. The ride was fine. 3 hours.
Which brought us to Wichita. I saw Sister T, and a couple other
sisters and elders that I haven't for a while (I love reunions!) and
found Sister Dodd. We had a zone meeting right before and the
scripture theme for this transfer is going to be Alma 38:12. Bridle
your passions to be filled with His love. Very appropriate I felt. The
zone seems great.

When I got back to the area, I found that we are living with a woman
and her daughter (members) and live in a very homey, modest home just
a couple blocks from the church building. The sisters had been
teaching a couple families and always seem to have someone to teach
which is so great! We are basically out here by ourselves besides the
members. Most of my mission there have always been other missionaries
around. Not here! The closest are an hour away.

On Friday night, we went over to see a new family that asked up to
come teach their kids. The parents are baptized and have never
attended the Hutchinson ward, but wanted us to teach their kids. They
fed us dinner and I was laughing through the whole meal SO HARD. This
family is so great. The kids are 12, 9, 8, and 4, with the oldest 3
all boys. They have ducklings in the garage, chicks outside, rabbits
in wooden hutches, dogs with no manners, and are out in the middle of
nowhere. They are just real with each other and always have something
to talk about. I just love them so much! The 8 year old was telling us
a story about how at a school party he lost his tooth and it fell on
the ground into a bunch of popcorn. The next thing he says, with all
enthusiasm, is, "Oh, this just got complicated!" Oh my goodness, I was
crying from laughing so hard. I just love them! They came to church
and we're going back this week.

There are a lot of other investigators that they are working with and
I'm very humbled to be here and have this responsibility. I was very
warmly welcomed into the ward and am excited to serve them.

We got a call from the missionary couple in charge of the temple open
house and we are going to be working at the temple open house 3
different times in April. We have to get a ride there 3 times... which
is a 4 hour drive. We are really excited to be a part of it! Plus, we
have to get rides to district meetings every week which are out in
Wichita, and the Mission Tour, where a General Authority is coming and
training us. In preparation for that I have been reading Alma 17-42
and focusing on how to be a better missionary. I have had my eyes
opened! The scriptures are coming alive and all the things those
missionaries did back before Christ came, I am doing now. It's crazy
to think that the same organization is here on the earth today. Christ
lives and leads this church!

Today is zone P-day, so we are heading down to Wichita later. The
elders here like to bowl... that's a new one for me. I'm excited
though.

Things are grand! I love this mission! I love my life! I love my God!
I love my Savior!
Life is truly beautiful, my friends. Embrace it. My dad was correct
when he counseled me today saying, "live every moment". I couldn't
agree more. Time passes so quickly. We don't have time to waste. Soak
up all of life's good and truth. Love everyone. Sing often. Laugh when
you want to cry. Keep moving forward. The sun will always rise. I know
this is possible because of Jesus Christ. His Atonement is here to
help up change. His grace is not here to merely save us. it is here to
change us. I know this gospel is true with all my heart, and I'm so
grateful to be the Lord's missionary.

I love you all. Shall we not go on in so great a cause?
Love Always,
Sister Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment