Sunday, January 23, 2011

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

First of all, I have been assigned a "farewell" talk which I will give in my home ward on February 20th. Any and all are invited to come watch and listen as I give my final address. It will be at 11 AM in the St. Helens, OR building during the regular church service called Sacrament Meeting. If you need directions, email me at "vickikmoore@gmail.com" or find me on Facebook. I would LOVE to see you there!

This is all starting to become a little overwhelming. I have been able to get a few things done, however the amount of brain power that needs to go into this, in my point of view anyway, is able to be measured by the ton. Being called as a visitors' center sister makes me believe that I have a lot to learn, especially in MISSOURI. Let's think about it: we have the regular lessons from Preach My Gospel to learn, understand, and perfect; we have all the history of the church regarding Joseph Smith and the history to the restoration of this gospel; Pioneers, prosecutions, unbuilt temples; the Community of Christ church, or temple, whichever it is, is right across the street from the LDS Visitors' center and I'm sure I'll get questions regarding it; regional history like Jesse James or President Truman. The funny part is this: I really don't know anything. The only thing I have going for me is a testimony that won't get knocked down. I know Christ lives and loves us. That's basic. Good thing you always refer to basics.

It is January 23rd. I leave Oregon on February 28th. That gives me 36 days to learn and understand as much of this information as I possibly can in order to make this whole experience a little bit more easy-going. I still need some supplies and I have questions... hey you returned missionaries... where are you when I need you??

Oh yeah -I am leaving Oregon on February 28th because I have ancestors out of Salt Lake from my mom's mom's side. My mom and my grandmother wanted to go see Temple Square in SLC before I report down in Provo. As a sister missionary, I will be touring SLC and Temple Square for a day and a half. It's really cool, actually. We'll be able to go see the Tabernacle. For Christmas, my grandmother gave me this little charm which was off of her grandmother's charm bracelet. My mom and grandmother made it into a necklace for me. It's very valuable in many ways to our family and I have the honor and the responsibility to be able to wear it during my mission service.


On the plus side, travel arrangements are almost finished. We have appropriate flights to and from Salt Lake and a hotel to live at for a few nights. I will find out the time I am to report to the MTC in a couple weeks. I finally mailed in my driver's record to the mission office in hopes of me being able to drive while I'm out there. My mother was generous enough to buy my mission attire for me, although I still need shoes and a raincoat. Possibly a navy blue jacket, too. Did you know visitors' center sisters are required to wear a jacket at all times when on duty? Very professional. It's difficult finding jackets that I like, though.

Anyway, the work is being done so the work can be done. On this blog, I am slowly adding features relevant to my mission. Below the main photo at the top of the blog you can see a series of "tabs". Those tabs lead you to different pages within my blog for a little bit more information about what I'll be doing for 18 months. My addresses which you may (and are encouraged) to write to are on the sidebar to the right here. I provided some awesome links for if you would like to do any more research regarding the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Remember, you wouldn't learn how to plant a garden from a lumberjack. Go to the true sources to get true information and go from there.

I'll continue to keep this updated up until I leave. After that, it'll be up to friends and family members to update this for me with general letters I sent home. Thank you for sticking with me this far; you are amazing and I love you all... I really do.

Until next time!

Sister Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment